Join PROJECT MOVE-OUT: free bulk waste recycling initiative for Rutgers students living in New Brunswick
Rutgers University and the City of New Brunswick are partnering in Project Move Out to recover discarded furniture, appliances and textiles in order to keep these items out of landfills and reduce our carbon footprint.
Benefits of participating in Project Move Out
- Collected items will be recycled.
- Freon will be recovered from discarded appliances to prevent leakage into the environment.
- Individuals (landlords and tenants) will avoid municipal fines ($150-$2,000) for violations of the New Brunswick trash ordinance.
A Project Move Out collection area on campus is also available for students (with a Rutgers ID) to drop off their bulk waste items May 26th- 29th between 7 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Additionally, the Department of Public Works will have a drop off available to all New Brunswick residents and property owners on Wednesdays May 20th & 27th and June 3rd &10th from 10am -2pm at 400 Jersey Avenue, New Brunswick, NJ 08901.
No registration necessary for drop off, Rutgers ID required. Students must wear masks and practice social distancing.
- Location: Behind College Avenue Gym, Lot 30
Residents in other communities should check with their local Department of Public Works for bulk trash removal information.
Materials which will not be collected by Project Move Out include:
- vegetative waste
- construction materials
- regular household garbage
- hazardous waste
- flammable/explosive waste
- mandatory recyclable materials